Wednesday 7 January 2009

Earthquake!!!

At around 10am this morning, I was sitting looking through e-mails on the computer. I had literally just clicked send on an e-mail when the room starting shaking. Had the e-mail been too much for the telephone system in Costa Rica? Or had the content angered the gods? It would seem that neither was true, but rather I had just experienced my first earthquake (or tremor, but quake sounds more impressive).

It only lasted about 3 seconds, but it was an unusual experience to feel the room move about without having first drunk 5 pints of Stella Artois.

Here's a seismic graph showing that I didn't just imagine it (from the Heredia seismic monitor section of the web site of El Observatorio Vulcanológico y Sismológico de Costa Rica):


Zoë, who was upstairs in the bathroom at the time, felt nothing.

No comments: